Nutrition Tips for Winter
We all know how viruses like flu or the common cold can set you back over the winter period. A healthy and nutritious diet not only improves your general health and wellbeing, but boosts your immunity which can prevent the common cold, or help a faster recovery once you are down with it.
Our Senior Dieticians here at the Lister Hospital in Chelsea have been providing some top nutritional tips to ensure you have a healthy start to 2018.
- Getting your 5 a day: A balanced diet with 5 servings of fruits and vegetables can help prevent a host of diseases, it can help improve your immunity and assist with recovery from the flu much faster if you have got it. Click to check out the healthy eating guidelines set by the British Dietetic Association. Anyone with special dietary requirements or medical needs might want to check with a registered dietitian on how to adapt the Eatwell Guide to meet their individual needs.
- Stock up: Shopping groceries can be a task when it gets cold and icy. Make sure your cupboards are stocked up with staples such as tinned tomatoes, tinned fish, herbs and spices, onions, and whole wheat pasta. Freeze some peas, beans, broccoli and breads so that you can cook up simple meals without shopping. Online shopping is a great way to stock your groceries when you don’t feel like getting out.
- Fluids: Drink 8-12 glasses of fluids per day unless you have a pre-existing condition that prevents you from doing so. This can include water, juices, soups, tea, coffee and other fluids. However, avoid excessive caffeine or sugar laden drinks.
- Plan your meals: Planning your family’s meals well in advance means you don’t have to compromise on your health due to the changing weather.
- Warmth: Try to have at least one hot meal a day to help you keep warm.
If you would like more information about how a registered dietitian can help you assess your nutritional status and improve your well-being this winter. Do not hesitate to contact the Lister’s Nutrition and Dietetics team on 020 7730 7733 for more information and to book your appointment.